Onion juice also known as onion hair oil is popularly used to cure a lot of hair related problems today. This is one of the facts we did not know about this one vegetable we use in almost all kinds of cooking and dishes. As per Ayurveda, onion and parts of onion are packed with numerous vitamins and minerals good for human body.
Onion hair oil is widely used for hair fall, dandruff and scalp health treatments. There are so many hair care products which use onion juice or onion hair oil as the main ingredient. History shows that people in the past used onion hair to boost the health of the hair and add shin to it.
Let us explore 5 main benefits of onion hair oil
1. Controls Dandruff
What does onion have that is beneficial for the health of the hair? Onion has anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant properties and is made of numerous vitamins and minerals essential for good hair. Hair problems usually starts from the roots, i.e. the scalp. There are several reasons for the scalp to get infected. It could get itchy and lead to dandruff.
Application of onion hair oil to the scalp and massaging it well gives good and factual results.
2. Improves Blood Circulation
The application of onion hair oil includes application and massage in circular motion. A good 5 to 10 mins of massage on the scalp helps the oil seep into the roots of the hair passing on the nutrients to each of the hair strand increasing the rate of blood circulation. The improved blood circulation and the effect of the onion hair oil betters the health of the hair.
3. Reduces Hair Fall
One of the top hair related problems is hair fall. Hair fall can also break a heart, especially for women. Women usually see hair fall as they age, during pregnancy and child birth and during hormonal changes. The above conditions are uncontrollable and improving the health of the hair was next to impossible. After a couple of researches, many hair experts have declared that onion hair oil can act as a magical component in reducing hair fall and increasing hair follicles. Regular application of onion hair oil in regular intervals will help achieve good hair growth.
4. pH Level Balancer
Can you believe if we say that the onion hair oil has the power to balance the pH level of the scalp? Well, this is true. Onion hair oil is like a blessing to the scalp, the root of the hair that is responsible for hair growth and its nourishment.
The sulfur and potassium component present in the onion hair oil is responsible for maintaining the pH level and the health of the scalp.
5. Hair oil to Hair Conditioner
We have been seeing and using hair conditioners which are meant to be applied after the hair wash. Hair conditioners usually lock the moisture in the hair strands and the scalp. With regards to the onion hair oil, it is the other way. Onion hair oil is used prior to hair wash and acts as a brilliant natural conditioner to the hair.
How to use onion oil on your scalp and hair?
The preparation of onion hair oil is very easy. A couple of onions are peeled, sliced and grinned finely. The juice is then extracted from this paste. This extracted juice is nothing but the onion hair oil.
Now let us see how to apply this hair oil.
There are 8 way to apply onion hair oil to the scalp and the hair.
1. The onion hair oil can be used as is right after extracting it from the onion paste.
2. The onion hair oil can be mixed with coconut oil, almond oil or any other essential oil of your choice
3. Onion oil blends pretty well with the paste of the curry leaves, curd, honey or lemon juice as well which are also good for the health of the hair.
4. Application of the onion hair oil
5. Patch test has to be done on the skin before actual application of the onion hair oil to avoid itchy or irritation on the scalp caused by the strong and pungent property of the onion
6. After the test is done, the natural onion hair oil either raw or mixed with water or any other oil or smoothening liquid can be applied on the scalp using a cotton tab
7. The scalp has to be massaged well for few minutes for the onion hair oil to reach the roots
8. The onion hair oil can rest on the hair and the scalp for 15 minutes before wash
9. The onion hair oil application can be left overnight only if the onion hair oil is diluted
A lot of hair experts recommend using onion hair oil for hair related problems. However, there are not many scientifically proven cases to show the results. Also, being a natural oil, it can be used for any kind of hair and there will be no side-effects. But it is always good to be safe and test it before use. Consulting a hair expert is always advised.
1. How often can I use onion oil on my hair?
Onion hair oil has to be used regularly to achieve good results. Hence, using it 2-3 times a week is recommended.
2. Can Onion Oil Cause Hair Fall?
Onion hair oil is one of the best home remedies for hair fall problem. It is packed with vitamins and minerals that activates hair growth. Hence, it does not cause hair fall.
3. Is Onion good for dandruff?
Onion hair oil is best to cure dandruff and any other scalp related infections.
4. Can I use red onion for hair growth?
Red onions are rich in potassium, sulfur and vitamins that are responsible for hair growth. Hence, red onions can be used to treat hair fall problem and to reactive hair growth