People have been using coconut oil for hair growth and protection for years. However, only a few know how to properly utilize its full benefits.
Why is coconut oil better for protecting your hair compared to other oils?
Coconut has many benefits due to its active ingredients. It is rich in fatty acids, which improve overall hair health. Coconut oil is a primary ingredient in many hair care products, including conditioners, shampoos and styling gels.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair
Most people use coconut oil-based products because they can easily incorporate them into their hair care routines. However, to use pure coconut oil for your hair, you can follow these tips:
- Heat the oil: Heat coconut oil to form a liquid and rub it into your hands before applying it to your hair.
- Mix it up: Mix coconut oil with an essential oil like peppermint or lavender for more aromatic benefits. Nourishing products like honey, butter, or yogurt can also help.
- Apply at night: Applying in the morning will make your hair greasy. So, apply at night and shampoo the next morning.
- Avoid clogging the scalp: If you use too much of this oil , it will clog your pores and irritate your scalp. So, start small and increase the amount once you know your scalp’s reaction.
Tips for using coconut oil products for hair
Coconut oil is the primary ingredient in many hair care products. Some use it to moisturize their hair, while others use it as an organic sunscreen. Nevertheless, this ingredient can provide natural moisturizing effects to your hair. Here are the best ways to use coconut oil for hair growth and protection .
- Pre-Wash Hair Protector: Apply coconut oil before washing your hair.
- Post Wash Detangler: Applying coconut oil after washing can help prevent tangles. You can rub the oil into your strands after using shampoo and conditioner on your hair.
- Hair Conditioning: You can shampoo your strands, apply coconut hair conditioner and then comb your hair. Combing the hair from the middle to the ends gives the best results.
- Hair mask: Use coconut oil as your hair mask, rub it through the strands and leave it overnight or for a few hours before washing.
- Scalp Treatment: You can massage your scalp with coconut oil before going to bed. Allow it to sit overnight and wash your hair in the morning with a quality shampoo.
- Styling help: A coconut oil scrub goes a long way when it comes to controlling frizz. Make sure to use it on damp hair for easy styling and absorption.
Practicing these techniques regularly or once in a while can lead to healthy, beautiful and shiny hair. Although the amount of oil you use depends on the type and length of hair, the best approach is to start small and increase gradually. For example, one teaspoon is enough for people with very thin or short hair. On the other hand, two tablespoons of coconut oil is ideal for someone with thick, long hair.
Benefits of using coconut oil for hair
The lauric acid in coconut oil, a saturated fat, has countless benefits for hair. Protein, specifically keratin, is the primary component of hair. Unfortunately, styling products, shampoos, bleaches and dyes damage it, leaving hair brittle and dull. Here are the main benefits of using coconut oil for your hair.
Thinning hair grows
Struggling to grow thinning hair? Coconut oil can help your strands grow and increase your hair volume. After application, it penetrates deep into the follicles, preventing hair loss while stimulating the growth of strong, healthy strands.
Stimulates hair growth
Coconut oil contains essential fatty acids and vitamins that nourish the hair and scalp. Also, they help remove dead skin from the hair follicles. Regular use of this oil will make your hair grow faster, thicker and longer.
Repairs damaged hair
Coconut oil contains proteins that are similar to the primary components of your hair. When applied to your hair, it penetrates the strands and reduces the amount of water your hair absorbs. It also controls hair damage. Also, coconut oil reduces hair protein loss. That’s why most people use it as a pre and post hair care product.
Scientific evidence shows that coconut oil can help manage the dry and itchy scalp that accompanies dandruff due to its antifungal properties. It reduces scalp flaking while promoting beneficial bacteria. Regular use helps repair the skin barrier, making this oil an excellent treatment for dry skin and dandruff.
Taming frizzy hair
Struggling with hair loss? Coconut oil can help tame your strands. Its use leaves the hair feeling soft with a smooth texture.
Adds shine to your hair
Coconut oil locks in moisture and gives your hair a beautiful shine and shine. Use it on dull hair to bring back the natural shine.
Coconut oil helps in hair growth, repair and moisture. It helps in dandruff prevention and dry scalp management. However, to enjoy its full benefits, you must use pure or high-quality coconut oil-based hair care products.
Frequently Asked Questions’
Does coconut oil help hair growth?
Although coconut oil does not directly cause hair growth, it can create a healthy environment for hair growth. It helps moisturize the scalp and hair, prevents breakage and provides nutrients like lauric acid, which penetrates the hair shaft to strengthen and protect it. This leads to healthy, strong hair that appears longer and thicker over time.
Can you apply coconut oil to your hair daily?
There is usually no need to apply coconut oil daily . Excessive use can lead to build-up of your scalp and hair. For most people, using coconut oil 1-2 times a week is enough. However, how often you should use it will vary based on your hair type and needs. For example, if you have very dry hair, frequent use of coconut oil can be beneficial.
Does coconut oil stop hair fall?
Coconut oil can help reduce hair loss, strengthen the hair shaft and reduce breakage. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe the scalp and reduce dandruff and itching, both of which can contribute to hair loss. However, it should be noted that there are many causes of hair loss