People have been using coconut oil for hair growth and protection for years. However, only a few people know how to use it properly to get its full benefits.
Why is coconut oil better for protecting your hair than other oils?
Coconut has many benefits due to its active ingredients. It is rich in fatty acids that improve the overall health of the hair. Not surprisingly, coconut oil is a primary ingredient in many haircare products, including conditioners, shampoos, and styling gels.
use of coconut oil for hair
Most people use coconut oil-based products because they are easy to incorporate into their hair care . However, you can follow these tips to use pure coconut oil on your hair:
- Warm the oil : Warm coconut oil into a liquid and rub it into your hands before applying it to your hair.
- Mix it up: Mix coconut oil with an essential oil like peppermint or lavender to enjoy more aromatherapy benefits. Nutritious ingredients like honey, avocado or yogurt can also help.
- Apply at night: If you apply it in the morning, your hair will look sticky and sticky. So, apply at night and shampoo the next morning.
- Prevents scalp clogging: If you apply it in excess, this oil will clog your pores and irritate your scalp. So, start small and increase the quantity after knowing how your scalp reacts.
Tips for Using Coconut Oil Products for Hair
Coconut Oil is the primary ingredient of many haircare products . Some people use it to moisturize their hair while others use it as an organic sunscreen. Still, this ingredient can provide a natural moisturizing effect on your hair. Here are the top ways to use coconut oil for hair growth and protection.
- Pre-Wash Hair Protector: You can apply coconut oil on your hair before washing.
- Detangler after washing: When you apply coconut oil after washing it can prevent hair from getting tangled. You can apply oil to your hair after using shampoo and conditioner on your hair.
- Hair Conditioning: You can shampoo your hair and then use Coconut Hair Conditioner and then comb your hair. Combing the hair from the middle to the ends gives better results.
- Hair mask: Use coconut oil as your hair mask , rubbing it into the hair and leaving it on overnight or for a few hours before washing.
- Scalp Treatment: You can massage your scalp with coconut oil before sleeping. Leave it overnight and wash your hair with a good shampoo in the morning.
- Styling Aid: A dab of coconut oil goes a long way in controlling frizz. Make sure you apply it to wet hair for easy styling and absorption.
- Practicing these techniques regularly or occasionally will make hair healthy, beautiful and shiny. While the amount of oil you use depends on hair type and length, the best approach is to start with a small amount and gradually increase. For example, one teaspoon is enough for people with very thin or short hair. On the other hand, two tablespoons of coconut oil is ideal for those with thick, long hair.
Benefits of using coconut oil for hair
Lauric acid, a saturated fat present in coconut oil, has many benefits for hair . Protein, specifically keratin, is the primary component of hair. Unfortunately, styling products, shampoos , bleaches and dyes damage it, leaving hair brittle and lifeless. Here are the primary benefits of using coconut oil on your hair.
growing thin hair
Are you struggling to grow out your thinning hair? Coconut oil can help your hair grow and boost your hair volume . Upon application, it penetrates deep into the hair follicles, preventing hair breakage while promoting the growth of stronger, healthier hair.
stimulating hair growth
Coconut oil contains essential fatty acids and vitamins that nourish the hair and scalp. Additionally, they help remove sebum that accumulates in the hair follicles. By using this oil regularly, your hair will grow faster , thicker and longer.
repair damaged hair
Coconut oil contains proteins that resemble the primary components of your hair. Once you apply it to your hair, it penetrates the hair reducing the amount of water your hair absorbs. And this limits hair damage. Additionally, coconut oil reduces hair protein loss. That’s why most people use it as a haircare product before and after washing.
treatment of dandruff
Scientific evidence has shown that coconut oil can help you manage dry and itchy scalp that occurs with dandruff due to its antifungal properties. It reduces scalp flaking while promoting beneficial bacteria. Regular application helps repair skin blockages, making this oil an excellent treatment for dry skin and dandruff.
controlling frizzy hair
Do you struggle with frizzy hair? Coconut oil can help you tame your hair. After applying it, hair feels soft with a soft texture.
add shine to your hair
Coconut oil retains moisture, giving your hair a brilliant shine and lustre. Applying it on hair which lacks shine will bring back the natural shine.
Coconut oil helps in hair growth, repair and moisturizing. It also helps in dandruff prevention and dry scalp management. Still, you should use pure or high-quality coconut oil-based haircare products to enjoy its full benefits.
frequently Asked question’
Does coconut oil help hair growth?
Although coconut oil cannot directly cause hair growth, it can create a healthy environment for hair growth. It helps moisturize the scalp and hair, prevent breakage, and provide nutrients like lauric acid, which penetrates the hair roots to strengthen and protect them. This can lead to healthier, stronger hair, which can appear longer and thicker over time.
Can I apply coconut oil to hair every day?
Generally it is not necessary to apply coconut oil every day. Excessive use can cause build-up on your scalp and hair. For most people, using coconut oil 1-2 times a week is enough to see benefits. However, how often you should use it may vary depending on your hair type and needs. For example, if you have extremely dry hair, you may find it beneficial to use coconut oil frequently.
Does coconut oil prevent hair fall?
Coconut oil can help reduce hair fall by strengthening the hair roots and reducing breakage. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help soothe the scalp and reduce dandruff and itching, both of which can contribute to hair loss. However, it is important to note that there are many possible causes of hair loss.