If you are someone who is really into skincare, you must be hearing the term face serum a lot. What is a face serum and what is the importance of face serum in skincare? Loaded with high concentrations of active ingredients, a face serum is a lightweight skincare product that penetrates deeper into your skin. A serum is available in the form of liquid or gel and it keeps your skin looking healthy, glowing and slows the ageing process.
Choosing the right face serum is one of the first steps to adding this as a step to your skincare routine. There are different types of face serums available online and in stores that you can choose from. Serums are developed to deal with different skin problems. Here are some types of face serums that you can choose from:
- Hydrating Serums
- Acne-Prone/Sensitive Skin Serums
- Skin Brightening Serums
- Anti-Ageing Serums
- Free-Radical Fighting Serums
To pick the right option, you need to know what goes inside the serum and what exactly suits your skin type like a face serum for dry skin or oily skin. Some of the common main ingredients of a face serum are:
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Vitamin C
A face serum offers you multiple benefits for your skin. Here are some reasons based on expert insights on face serum why you should add a face serum to your skincare regime.
- A face serum is lightweight and does not make your skin feel greasy or heavy on your skin.
- Being lightweight and viscous, this product gets absorbed into your skin easily and does not clog pores.
- Face serums act on specific skin concerns. A face serum for anti-ageing properties or a serum for acne will help you tackle the skin problem specifically.
- It protects your skin from damage and premature ageing.
- Other than preventing ageing, a face serum also helps in reducing wrinkles and fine lines.
If you wish to add a face serum to your skincare regime, you should know the right product to pick and how to use the same. In the following sections, we will look at the face serum do’s and don’ts for healthier and brighter skin.
The Do’s Of Using A Face Serum
Let us take a look at face serum benefits and tips to help you understand how you can properly add a face serum to your routine and get the most out of this power-packed product.
1. Choose The Right Face Serum For Your Skin Type And Concerns
Choosing the right face serum is the first step to adding a face serum to your skincare routine. Before you pick a product make sure it suits your skin type and the skin concerns that you wish to deal with.
2. Cleanse And Tone Your Sking Before Applying Face Serum
Applying face serum correctly will be the third step of your skincare routine. The first step is to cleanse your face well and the second one is to use a toner. Post this you should apply a face serum of your choice.
3. Apply Face Serum On Damp Skin For Better Absorption
Always apply the serum on damp skin. This helps in enhancing the absorption of vitamins and nutrients present in the formula.
4. Gently Massage The Serum Into Your Skin Using Upward Motions
When looking at how to use face serum, you should also know the technique to apply it to your face. A serum should be gently massaged into your skin. You should use upward motions for the same.
5. Follow The Recommended Frequency Of Applying Face Serum
While your face serum might be loaded with benefits, you must still follow the recommended frequency of applying the same and not use the serum more than it should for the best results.
6. Allow The Serum To Fully Absorb Before Applying Other Products Or Makeup
If you have more steps to your routine after the serum, you must wait for the serum to fully absorb into your skin. Post that, you can go ahead and apply any other products or create a makeup look.
7. Store Your Face Serum Properly To Maintain Its Effectiveness
There is a lot of importance of face serum in skincare and to get the most out of your product you must carefully follow the storage instructions given on your pack. Properly storing the serum will help maintain the effectiveness of the product for longer.
The Don’ts Of Using A Face Serum
Now let us walk you through a few expert insights on face serum don’ts to help you avoid any potential skin damage or problems that could be caused by a serum.
1. Avoid Using Too Much Face Serum To Prevent Wastage And Potential Skin Irritation
A face serum is highly concentrated with active ingredients. Applying face serum correctly includes using the right quantity not only to prevent wastage but also to avoid skin irritation that can be caused by these ingredients.
2. Do Not Mix Incompatible Ingredients Or Layer Too Many Products With Your Face Serum
While you can easily continue with your regular skincare routine after using a face serum, make sure the ingredients of your different products are not incompatible with each other. For instance, if you use a face serum for anti-ageing make sure the ingredients are compatible with all your other skincare products.
3. Skip Using Face Serum On Broken or Irritated Skin
If you have breakouts or skin irritations, avoid applying the face serum as the active ingredients might increase irritation.
4. Do Not Expect Instant Results As Consistency Is Key With Face Serum
Looking at the face serum benefits and tips to use the same, you might feel the serum is a powerful skincare product. While it is packed with the goodness of various powerful ingredients, it is not a magical potion that will give you instant results.
5. Avoid Exposing Your Face To Excessive Sunlight Or UV Rays Without Proper Sun Protection
Post the face serum, apply your regular sun protection to complete your routine before you step outdoors to avoid UV damage to your skin.
Expert Insights On Hyaluronic Acid Serum
One of the types of face serums that has been a favourite among skincare experts is a hyaluronic acid face serum. Using hyaluronic acid serum benefits your skin multi-fold. It transforms and maintains your skin and is suitable for many different skin types.
The natural hyaluronic acid produced by your body helps in cushioning and lubricating the body’s connective tissues but the naturally occurring hyaluronic acid diminishes with age. this makes your skin dry more frequently and it gets harder to maintain hydrated and supple skin.
Using hyaluronic acid serum benefits your skin in the following ways:
- Softer and smoother skin that is radiant
- Hydrated skin due to the water-binding humectant ingredient
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles
- Supple skin
As we conclude this guide on face serum do’s and don’ts, we hope that the tips shared here will help you add this product to your skincare regime. You can use a face serum as per your skin type and any skin concerns that you have. Most face serums can be used twice a day and you can easily continue the other steps of your routine after applying face serum correctly.