It is very common to get dry, chapped lips. Your lips are the first to start showing signs of dehydration if you have forgotten to have enough fluids through the day. You get chapped lips if your environment is too dry – cold air conditioning or even high heaters can cause your skin to lose hydration and lips start to show the signs first.
Dry lips, especially if they get chapped easily can be very painful. The skin on your lips are thinner than the skin on the rest of your face. It also does not have sweat and oil glands, therefore the skin has no natural lipid barrier to protect it from damage. That is why your lips are prone to dryness and chapping.
Reasons for getting chapped lips
As mentioned, since the skin on the lips are thin and have no natural lipid barrier, so they can lose moisture from the surface and become dry. Severity of chapped lips can go from simple rough lips to peeling to bleeding. Chapped lips can be painful if not taken care of.
There are quite a few factors that can lead to your lips getting dry and rough. The most common reason is dehydration. Your lips can dry out if you are in the habit of licking them often. Besides that, iron and vitamin B deficiency, thyroid disorder or general ill health can cause dryness and chapping of lips.
How to care for your chapped lips
Whether your lips get dry or not, it is a good idea to maintain care regime for your lips. Use products like lip scrub, lip balm and lip oil to keep your lips moisturized. It is a simple regime that you can do almost every day. Using a lip care kit is a good idea to flaunt smooth, supple and moisturised lips. It is ideal for pampering and reviving dry, rough, chapped and cracked lips.
Look for products that are infused with natural ingredients like rose extract, olive il, jojoba oil, cocoa butter – those that keep your lips moisturized and protected. Why should you look for these kinds of actives? Well, they are rich in essential fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidants that help to repair and protect the thin skin of your lips.
5 Things to do to keep your lips soft
- Be gentle with lips: Avoid licking your lips if you are prone to dry lips. Also chose a creamy lipstick or lip colour over mattifying lip products as they can dry out your lips.
- Look for natural butters and oils: Prefer a lip balm or lip oil based on natural butters over petroleum jelly or mineral oil. The natural butters and oils are easily absorbed by the skin and deliver much needed vitamins, fatty acids and minerals to improve the skin structure.
- Scrub your lips: Start by gently scrubbing with natural sugar-based lip scrub. Use that once or twice a week to keep rough, peeling skin at bay. Take a little quantity of the scrub on the fingertip and apply over the lips. Gently rub the scrub on the lips in circular motion for a few minutes. Gently wipe off the scrub with cotton pad and wash your lips.
- Use a lip oil for intense hydration: Whenever your lips are feeling extra dry, or it is peeling using a lip oil provides instant protection and moisturization. The natural oil forms a protective film over your lips, giving the skin time to heal. For instant hydration, apply a single coat on your lips. Dab lips lightly. Apply a second coat if needed. Keep on overnight for soft, plump lips the next day.
- Keep lip balm handy for any time protection: Use the lip balm for instant protection against dryness and chapping. Take a little quantity on the fingertip and apply over the lips. Rub gently to spread the product evenly. Repeat whenever lips feel dry or taut.
Why you should use WOW Skin Science Luxury Lip Care Kit
Treat your dry, chapped lips to some sumptuous care with WOW Skin Science Luxury Lip Care Kit. This specially curated lip care set has three luxurious products made specifically to give your soft, lush lips. The kit has Himalayan Rose Natural Lip Scrub, Himalayan Rose Natural Lip Oil and Himalayan Rose Natural Lip Balm. The products deliver the goodness of 100% pure rose oil, rose petals, coconut sugar, kokum butter and olive oil to rescue dry, chapped, cracked lips. These natural actives work together to give your lips smoothing and softening nourishment.
The products can be used alone or together as a regimen to help smoothen and moisturise your lips. To use as a lip care regimen, use the lip scrub to remove dry, peeling skin. Apply the lip oil to for intense hydration. Use the lip balm for instant protection against dryness and chapping.