Pediatric dermatology has gained immense importance today as parents become more hands-on. Although your child’s skincare routine for healthy skin is simple, the number of products available in the markets makes it complex and tricky. One such product available in the market is sunscreen. Sunscreen protects your child from the harmful effects of prolonged exposure to harsh UVA and UVB rays.
Your kid’s sunscreen not only has to be kinder on the skin but also sufficient. Stay with us till the end to learn how to choose sunscreen for your child and apply it.
Do all children need sunscreen?
Yes, irrespective of your child’s skin tone, applying sunscreen on their skin every time they step out in the sun is vital. Although protection against the sun depends on the melanin levels and even though dark skin has more melanin, it still gets tanned and burns. Tanning is a sign of damage, and for this reason alone, dark skin also needs sunscreen.
Dermatologists advise keeping children under six months away from the sun. You can dress them in lightweight clothes that cover their entire body when you take them out and apply a small amount of sunscreen (dermatologically tested) on the exposed skin. You can also use a hat to keep the rays away.
What type of sunscreen is suitable for kids?
While choosing your kid’s sunscreen, lookout for the following things –
- Always choose a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection. Check the label for the spectrum of the sunscreen. It implies that the sunscreen will protect your child from UVA and UVB rays which are unlikely for regular sunscreens.
- Ensure that the sunscreen is water and sweat-resistant, non-greasy, and non-oily.
- Choose a mineral sunscreen over a chemical one. Mineral sunscreen does not get absorbed into the skin and clog the pores. Furthermore, it does not need the rays to get absorbed into the skin to fight the UV rays.
- Always buy sunscreen with an SPF 30 and above.
- Invest in a cream sunscreen rather than a spray one.
- Steer clear of sunscreens containing parabens, added fragrances, and oxybenzone.
How to apply your kid’s sunscreen?
1. Time of application
Mineral and chemical sunscreen have different prerequisites. While mineral sunscreens can be applied just before stepping out, chemical sunscreen needs to be applied at least 20 minutes before. This is because mineral sunscreen doesn’t get absorbed into your skin. They form a protective barrier by sitting like a layer and become effective as soon as you apply it. However, chemical sunscreens need time to get absorbed and become effective.
Irrespective of the type of sunscreen, you must reapply it every 2 hours to get the most out of your sunscreen.
Most people get this wrong and only apply a little quantity. Dermatologists recommended applying at least an ounce over the exposed skin. You can also measure the amount using a teaspoon. It is as follows –
- 1 teaspoon – face and neck
- 2 teaspoon – front and back of the torso
- 1 teaspoon – each arm
- 2 teaspoons – each leg
Sunscreen by WOW Skin Science
WOW Skin Science products are free of parabens, sulphates, and other harsh chemicals. Our sunscreens are lightweight, non-greasy, and non-oily. Furthermore, they are available in a range of SPFs starting from 30. The highest SPF available is SPF 55. They are made using natural ingredients and hence, a safer option for your child’s soft, smooth, and supple skin!