How many skincare products do you have lining your vanity of dressing shelves? How do you use these? In what order? Do you know the correct sequencing of skincare products, or ‘layering of skincare essentials’ as it is called?
Read on to know how to layer your skincare products to get the best care for your skin.
With a plethora of skincare products – serum, sunscreen serum, toner, scrub, makeup remover, face wash, night cream, day cream, moisturizer, sunscreen, face mask, face pack, and what not, it becomes difficult to know when to use what and in which order. Are there different routines for day and night? Is anything meant to be used twice a day, once a day, or once or twice a week?
First, let’s get to know what to use when and in which order.
The general rule of thumb in skincare
Generally, we move from thinner/lighter to heavier skincare products. Think of it, a thicker product first will make it difficult for the thinner one to penetrate into skin layers.
Morning (AM) Routine
The morning routine works to freshen up, nourish, protect, and prep the skin for the day.
- Micellar water: Cleanse using micellar water to remove every residue of last night’s skincare product layers.
- Face wash: Use a gentle face wash free of soap/sulphates to gently open pores and remove any dirt hidden therein.
- Face toner: Now apply an alcohol-free toner to refine open pores that have been cleansed of dead cells and grime. Toner also hydrates your skin.
- Serum / Sunscreen serum: Now give your skin concentrated nutrition including antioxidants and vitamins with a serum (if you plan to go out in sun, choose a sunscreen serum that combines benefits of both: sunscreen and serum). Serums are formulated to give high-performance care in just a few drops.
- Face cream/ day cream/moisturizer: Now top it with a day-use face cream or moisturizer to give the skin long-lasting hydration, protection from elements and specific benefits (like anti-aging, anti-blemish, anti-acne, or fairness). This also acts as the base for your makeup (should you wish to apply it on).
- Sunscreen: If you plan to step out in the sun, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen of suitable SPF. If using makeup, you can consider a sunscreen spray as well. If you are out in polluted environs you can opt for an anti-pollution skin screen that gives double benefits: protection from sun rays and shielding from pollutants.
Bedtime (PM) Routine
The bedtime or night routine of skincare is designed to help the skin repair the damages it has sustained throughout the day.
- Micellar water: Cleanse using micellar water to remove every residue of makeup, grime, dirt and impurities from the top of the skin.
- Face wash: Use a gentle face wash free of soap/sulphates to gently open pores and remove any dirt/ dead cells hidden therein.
- Face toner: Like morning, apply an alcohol-free toner to refine open pores that have been cleansed of dead cells and grime. Toner will also hydrate your skin and prep it for better absorption of following skincare products that are designed to give sustained and night long skin repair benefits.
- Serum: Now give your skin concentrated nutrition including antioxidants and vitamins with a serum. A serum is a rich dose of skin repair actives that penetrates deep into skin for visible benefits.
- Night cream: Next is a specialty night cream that slowly releases skin repair actives through the night. It usually contains peptides and hyaluronic acid for anti-aging and rejuvenating skin care.
Use a face scrub after face wash and before toning once or twice a week to clear up dead skin cells and in-depth pore cleansing.
Use a face mask/ face pack once or twice a week after face wash and exfoliation to give rich nourishing care to skin.
How layering helps your skin look its best
The layering of products isn’t random. It follows a process rooted in science. Just as you follow recipe steps one by one to create a dish with the best possible flavour, so it is with skincare. Layer by layer, you give tender loving care and healing and nurturance to skin.
Your skin needs skincare in a logical sequence:
🔹 The old makeup and dirt on surface are cleaned up.
🔹 The pores are opened and cleaned out.
🔹 Pores are tightened and refined.
🔹 Skin is given nourishing hydration and antioxidant dosage with serum.
🔹 Skin is moisturized for day long care. Or given anti-aging actives for overnight skin repair.
🔹 For day hours, skin is given anti-sun protection of sunscreen.
When the products are used in correct layers, the benefits are better and more visible.
Hydration, hydration, hydration
Remember, your skin needs hydration to get ready for things to come. For example; If you use anti-acne or anti-aging products, your skin first needs to be amply hydrated to be ready for any actives that may be mildly irritating or drying otherwise. Layered right, the skin absorbs and reacts to actives better.
Now that you know how to layer your skincare products, and also why to layer your skincare products, we recommend using products from a brand that makes a complete range of holistically healthy (read: no sulphate, no paraben, no mineral oils) products enriched with natural actives like cold-pressed oils, plant extracts, and essential oils.
We recommend WOW Skin Science that offers a complete range of micellar water, face washes, face toners, serums and sunscreen serums, moisturizers and face creams, sunscreens, face masks, and face scrubs to help you tailor the perfect regimen suited to your skin type.