Impact of Changing Weather on Immunity
Why we fall ill more during weather change and how to enhance immunity to stay healthy in weather change times
Speaking generally, feeling under the weather means feeling unwell. And as we all know, when the weather changes from hot to cold, or cold to hot, most of us feel under the weather. Cold, flu, joint pains, upper respiratory infections, sinusitis flare-ups, allergies – cases of all these go up. This is because of the impact of changing weather on immunity.
Simply speaking, weather change has impact on health because weather change also impacts immunity, our body’s ability to fight disease-causing germs and illnesses.
In other words, if we know how to enhance immunity, weather change illnesses can be checked more effectively.
First, let’s know why weather change impacts immunity
Sudden switch from hot to cold, and cold to hot temperatures
When we move from artificially controlled indoor temperatures to extreme ones outdoors, the body gets hardly any time to acclimatize to the change. This lowers immunity.
Lack of humidity
Sudden temperature changes lead to dehumidification of air i.e. loss of water vapour in the air we breathe. This means that our eyes, lungs, and nose linings also lose moisture. This weakens immunity. Dehumidified air coupled with pollens, dust, and spores around means more allergies, more infections.
Viruses tend to multiply faster in colder temperatures. In cold weather, the nasal cavity temperature can fall to 33 degrees Celsius (normal is 37 degrees). This means viruses grow faster and sniffle-causing viral infections occur at a higher rate. Colder temperature also breaks down larger particles expelled with coughing/ sneezing into smaller particles faster. This increases contamination and infection risk for others around.
Lower Vitamin D levels
As you must know already, sunshine falling on the skin helps the body produce vitamin D, a vitamin vital for healthy immunity as well as bone and cartilage health. If people don’t get adequate sun exposure, they become more prone to illnesses.
Blood vessel narrowing
Cold air leads to narrowing of blood vessels in the upper respiratory tract. This can sometimes hinder white blood cells (a key immune cell that fights germs) from reaching the upper respiratory tract, leading to higher chances of infection.
Central heating/air conditioning
Closed environments with central heating/airconditioning helps spread viruses faster. This increases infection risks of those sharing that space.
So how to enhance your immunity during weather change- Eat a healthy and balanced diet with enough macro and micronutrients.
- Take Vitamin D supplements, or eat vitamin D rich foods – fatty fish, mushrooms, eggs.
- Get at least 30 minutes of gentle sunlight exposure.
- Change or clean AC/ central heating/ air purifier units’ filters regularly.
- Use a humidifier to ensure adequate water vapour in the air you breathe indoors.
- Practice social distancing and social hygiene. Adequate distance, frequent hand washing, no touching face or nose or eyes with unwashed hands. Most importantly, always sneezing and coughing into a tissue or handkerchief to ensure droplets are not spread around.
- As the muscle, bone and cartilage too are impacted by weather change and become more prone to inflammation, raise your activity level gradually to keep aches and pains at minimum.
- Your body clock is linked to immunity. So, get adequate sleep to ensure your body clock works well and in tune with the nature.
- Take immunity support supplements that help fulfill your body’s nutritional needs. Read more on this ahead.
Immunity support supplements from WOW Life Science
WOW Life Science offers several premium quality supplements that may help support immunity during weather change.
WOW Life Science Immunity Booster Capsules
Blend of elderberry extract, echinacea extract, vitamin C, garlic extract, zinc, and fruits powder blend. Helps neutralize free radicals, boosts immunity and metabolism, supports bladder, heart, and respiratory health as well as promotes healthy cholesterol levels, and elevates skin health.
WOW Life Science Turmeric Capsules
Blend of Turmeric Concentrate with high Curcuminoid content, pure Turmeric (Curcuma longa) Powder and Piperine (derived from black pepper). Helps boost immunity, improve skin health and provide anti-aging support. Regular consumption may also help improve bone and joint health.
WOW Life Science Omega 3
Fish oil capsule with immunity supporting Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). WOW Life Science OMEGA 3 has the optimal 3:2 EPA:DHA ratio. Supports healthy heart, joints and immunity.
Things to remember while taking supplements- In general, WOW life Science supplements are very safe. However, as with any other supplement, you must always first consult your health professional before starting on any. This is all the more important if you are on any prescription medicines, or have any chronic disorder.
- Some supplements such as Omega 3s may interfere with blood clotting/thinning mechanism. Please be sure to consult your health professional if you are on any type of blood thinning medicines.
- Always store your supplement bottle in a cool and dry place to keep the nutrition values uncompromised.