Want to Lighten Those Stretch Marks from Your Skin?
Here’s how to do it.
Are ugly looking stretch marks marring your skin’s once flawless beauty and in the process, harming your body confidence? Do you know almost 50% of women develop stretch marks during pregnancy? Many more women and men develop stretch marks due to weight loss/gain and bodybuilding? Are you looking for tips and products to lighten these? Here is some information you must read. Plus, product recommendations can really help lighten stretch marks.
Before we know how to tackle stretch marks, let’s get to know what exactly are stretch marks and how do these come up in the first place.
What are stretch marks
Stretch marks are a type of scarring where the skin develops near parallel bands of long, thin, and discolored streaks in various shades of pink, purple and white. Stretch marks usually come up on fleshy body zones like stomach, thighs, upper arms, waist, breasts, and lower thighs.
Why stretch marks develop
Stretch marks are literally ‘stretch marks’. When due to some reason, the skin undergoes extensive stretching – expansion or contraction – that its inner layer called dermis gets damaged, it shows up as stretch marks on the outermost skin layer that’s visible to eyes. The reasons for skin’s stretching can be pregnancy, excessive weight gain or weight loss, hormonal changes, bodybuilding, hormone replacement therapy, growth spurts, and puberty. Basically any process where the skin doesn’t get enough time to accommodate the change naturally.
Are stretch marks harmful
Only to your body confidence and beauty. Biologically, stretch marks have no negative health effects. The psychological impact is a different thing though as most of us want to look as good and flawless as possible, and stretch marks are visibly ugly.
How to lighten stretch marks
When it comes to stretch marks it is better to prevent them from coming up in the first place as once visible on the skin, stretch marks take a long time to disappear. However, if you do have the issue already, you need a dedicated regimen based on some key do’s and don’ts and backed by quality specialist anti-stretch mark skincare products (recommendations ahead).
Three things to remember to check stretch marks
- Avoid rapid weight gain or weight loss. Your skin needs time to recover from the damage it has already been subjected to due to stretching.
- Try to stay stress-free as stress-related hormones can weaken your skin’s natural elasticity. So eat well, stay hydrated, sleep well, and stay happily active.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight. Sun’s UV rays can damage the skin’s inner layers to worsen stretchmarks. Stay covered, step out less, carry an umbrella, and apply sunscreen to exposed zones.
Suggested regimen powered by natural actives that are extra effective at fading stretch marks
There are three effective steps to an exclusive anti-stretch mark regimen:
Massage that skin regularly
Regular massage with quality cold-pressed oils enhanced with botanical extracts, plant butters, and essential oils is an excellent idea as it helps boost blood flow and keep skin stay hydrated. Most quality cold-pressed oils are naturally rich in vitamins A & E, both helpful in treating stretch marks. Massage allows natural healing in tissues of the skin layer to take place to lighten stretch marks gradually.
Use a body scrub
Exfoliation with a caffeine-rich scrub also helps remove dead skin cells and boosts blood circulation to lighten stretch marks. So scrub that stretch-marked skin twice a week.
Third, Anti-Stretch Mark Moisturization
Application of specialist anti-stretch mark cream
Moisturizing is integral to any skincare regimen. However, regular moisturizers, creams and body lotions aren’t enough to tackle stretch-marked skin. You need to use a cream that’s formulated to help fade stretch marks with active ingredients that really deliver. Some key activities to look for in a specialist product are Plant stem cells, Gotu Kola herb, Green Tea Extract, and Cold Pressed Oils, etc.
Anti-Stretch Mark Care Products from WOW Skin Science
WOW Skin Science has an excellent range of dedicated anti-stretch mark products that can be used as a regimen to gradually lighten the stretch marks marring your skin.
All WOW Skin Science products are completely free of sulphates, parabens, and mineral oils.
WOW Skin Science Stretch Care Oil (for Massage)
A six-oil blend of Extra Virgin Olive, Sweet Almond, Jojoba, Grapeseed, Coconut, and Moroccan Argan Oils infused with Calendula and Rosehip Oils, Lavender Essential Oil and Vitamin E.
Rich in healthy antioxidants and flavonoids. Works to soothe, repair and revive dehydrated and damaged skin. Ideal for diminishing the appearance of stretch marks, evening out skin tone to give smoother complexion all over.
- Extra Virgin Olive, Sweet Almond, Jojoba, Grapeseed, Coconut, and Moroccan Argan Oils - Essential nutrients and fatty acids help repair inner layer damage, boost blood flow in scarred tissue and form a barrier on the skin to keep moisture loss in check.
- Calendula Oil – Infused with the goodness of calendula flower that helps accelerate skin cell regeneration for lessening of scar tissue.
- Rosehip Oil – Old and trusted remedy for stretch marks. It helps fade gradually by boosting sluggish blood circulation and healing skin.
- Vitamin E – Antioxidant that shields from oxidative stress linked to the weakening of skin’s natural elasticity.
How to use:
Take sufficient quantity between palms, rub together. Apply on affected body parts and massage using long, firm strokes. Start at the upper regions of the body, finish at legs. Take a warm bath or shower for maximizing benefits.
WOW Skin Science Arabica Coffee Scrub (for Exfoliation)
Formulated to reduce unwanted stretch marks and cellulite. It contains Organic Arabica Coffee Grounds, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, and much more bioactive to gently exfoliate away dead cells, hydrate skin, and boost blood circulation to increase skin’s elasticity and reduce stretch marks and cellulite.
- Organic Arabica Coffee Grounds - Gently exfoliates away dead skin cells, contains caffeine that increases blood circulation and detoxifies skin for a smoother feel.
- Shea Butter – It contains essential fatty acids that nourish and hydrate skin. Has vitamins A & E that help replace damaged collagen for minimizing stretch marks and orange peel-like dimpled appearance of skin.
- Coconut Oil – It contains vitamin E that aids skin repair. It also has saturated medium-chain fatty acids that help retain moisture in the skin to smoothen skin
How to use:
Before showering, massage a generous handful of the scrub to problem skin zones with vigorous circular strokes. Rinse off and shower as usual. Use daily for faster results.
WOW Stretch Marks & Scar Lightening Cream (for moisturization)
WOW Skin Science Stretch Marks & Scar Lightening Cream helps minimize the appearance of stretch marks and scars arising due to pregnancy, weight gain, bodybuilding, or teenage changes. This non-greasy cream can be applied to all body zones - thighs, breasts, tummy, hips, or lower back – that are susceptible to stretch marks. The 100% natural, vegan and antioxidant-rich formulation is powered by some of the most potent healing botanical actives such as Globularia Cordifolia Callus Culture Extract (Plant Stem Cells), Evening Primrose Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Cocoa Butter, Castor Seed Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Raspberry Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Hempseed Oil, Gotu Kola, Algae Extract, Japanese Green Tea Leaf Extract, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Honeysuckle Flower Extract, and Vitamin B3, B5, C & E for maximum skin repair.
- Globularia Cordifolia Callus Culture Extract (Plant Stem Cells) – Rich in antioxidants, promotes skin cell regeneration.
- Evening Primrose Oil – Rich in Omega 6 fatty acid Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA) that helps heal scarring and uneven skin.
- Safflower Seed Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Raspberry Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Hempseed Oil – Fatty acid nourishment for well-moisturized skin.
- Cocoa Butter – Powerful skin smoother helps fade uneven skin tone
- Gotu Kola – Used in Ayurveda for reducing scar tissue (keloids)
- Japanese Green Tea Leaf Extract – Soothing and anti-inflammatory penetrates deep into skin to help skin heal
- Grapefruit Seed Extract – Boosts blood flow to skin tissue for faster healing
- Honeysuckle Flower Extract – Helps improve uneven skin tone caused by stretch marks
- Vitamin B3, B5, C & E – Help reduce hyperpigmentation, lighten skin tone & improve skin’s smoothness.
How to use:
Gently cleanse the scarred/stretch marked area. Apply a sufficient amount of cream generously and massage thoroughly. Repeat thrice a day – morning, afternoon, evening – for optimal healing.